Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Welcome!

Hey Everyone!

Welcome to my Silly Humanist Blog :)

I've been fortunate enough to experience many facets of life. I have seen both sides of the socioeconomic coin, from poverty and homeless couch-surfing to riding in limousines and dining on exuberantly priced steaks. I have spent much time in the LGBT community sharing in the joys, struggles, and heartbreaks of my dearest friends while navigating the often hostile social jungles of the US. I have also managed to survive being a liberal in Texas without spontaneously combusting (Scary, I know!). My childhood was enriched with the wonder and comforts of religion and spiritual progress, yet after years of soul searching I grew up to become a secular humanist.

My motivation for this blog is the discussion of modern day social issues and thinking through different ways to navigate them. Issues close to my heart are poverty, education, and LGBT rights, as well as overcoming ethnic and gender biases. However, I also want this project to more broadly address what it means to be human - because at the end of the day it doesn't matter whether we are discussing women's rights or LGBT rights; we are discussing human rights.

I hope you all enjoy and provide your own insights as I embark on this project.

Jordan Leigh
The Silly Humanist

No comments:

Post a Comment